Mentor Welcome Page
Dear BreakThru Mentor,
Congratulations on being selected as a mentor for the BreakThru program. The BreakThru team is excited about your contributions to the development of students with disabilities and to virtual mentoring.
Step One: Second Life Tutorials
- Complete the attached registration form and email it to Chris Langston at firstname.lastname@example.org. On this form you will be selecting your login name for the BreakThru mentoring island in Second Life.
- You will receive a confirmation email that instructs you how to download Second Life. A link will be provided in that email to download the software. There is no need to register, as BreakThru will finish that step on your behalf.
- Create an avatar and begin self-exploration of Second Life
- Go through the Second Life tutorials
- The BreakThru mentoring island has been developed with an interactive tutorial that will teach you the basic movement controls of Second Life. When you first log in, your avatar will be located at the start of this tutorial. Carefully read and complete each activity, until you reach the end of the course. At its conclusion, you should be fairly familiar with movement and basic functions.
- The tutorial is designed as a primer, but Second Life is much more powerful than just movement and chat. Second Life’s developers and user communities have produced a number of helpful references that can aid you in better understanding the software:
- The Second Life Wiki: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Main_Page
- Second Life QuickStart Guide: http://secondlife.com/support/quickstart/basic/Help
- Second Life Knowledge Base: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Extended_Knowledge_Base
- Second Life User Instructions Powerpoint: http://www.catea.gatech.edu/gsaa/SecondLife_User_Instructions.pptx
- Use the attached “cheat sheet” for easier navigation
- Prior to the official start mentoring, you will be sent an email to attend the formal BreakThru Second Life training. Date TBA.
- Complete the mentor training modules located on the BreakThru website: http://georgiabreakthru.org
- Read, sign, and email the attached Mentor Mentee Consent form
- Read sign, and email the attached Mentor Mentee Confidentiality Agreement
- Information on your Mentees will be given to you once you have been matched
Step Two: Mentor Training
Step Three: Confidentiality Forms
Again, I would like to thank you for your commitment to BreakThru mentoring. If you have any questions or would like additional information about your mentorship, please feel free to contact me. Address all technical questions to Chris Langston at the email address above.
Gerri Wolfe, Ph.D.