Providing Documentation


In order for you to receive disability accommodations in college, you first must inform the school’s disability services office that you have a disability and need an academic adjustment. Your postsecondary school will require you to provide documentation of your disability and follow procedures to request an academic adjustment. Documentation is extremely important in determining eligibility for accommodations and for determining academic accommodations. Postsecondary schools generally include information on the procedures and contacts for requesting an academic adjustment in brochures, handbooks, or on the web site.

Postsecondary Documentation

  • Most colleges require current documentation (within 3 years) prepared by an appropriate professional, such as a medical doctor, psychologist or other qualified diagnostician.
  • The documentation should include a diagnosis of your current disability; the date of the diagnosis; how the diagnosis was reached; the credentials of the professional; and how the disability affects your academic performance.
  • The documentation should provide enough information for you and your school to determine appropriate academic adjustments.
  • The Board of Regents for the University System of Georgia has established specific documentation standards for USG institutions
  • The Individualized Education Program (IEP), Section 504 plan, or Summary of Performance (SOP) developed by your high school is not sufficient documentation for postsecondary schools.

It is important for you to contact or web research the disability office at the college you want to attend to learn about the documentation requirements. You can even submit your documentation for review prior to your enrollment at the college.

If your documentation does not meet the postsecondary school’s requirements, ask a school official to tell you what additional documentation you need. Note: you may need a new evaluation in order to qualify for academic adjustments.